[tor-project] We need project ideas for GSoC 2017!

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Jan 30 15:46:19 UTC 2017

On 29 January 2017 at 15:57, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
> Hi all! This week I'm getting our ducks in a row to apply for Google
> Summer of Code 2017...
>
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
>
> I just trimmed our volunteer page of projects that were done last year
> and sadly that doesn't leave us with much. We need mentors and project
> ideas!
>
> Got anything you'd care to mentor this summer? If so please let me know!
> Just send me a description like the ones on the following and I'd be
> happy to add it to our site...
>
> https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#Coding
>
> Please note that all projects must have two mentors, one of which is
> an established tor person. If you're not part of our internal community
> that's fine, but please find a core developer to co-sponsor your
> project and act as a secondary mentor.

Anyone want to mentor this with me? Maybe someone who knows Atlas?

Improve bwauth debugging and resources
Langauge: HTML/JavaScript/CSS; C; Python; Java

The bwauth system has been limping along for a while, and it would be
helpful to track how broken it really is, and output more detailed
information for relays to debug.  We would like to do some or all of
the following:

- Draft (and implement) a core-tor a proposal to expose bwauth vote
documents on DirAuths (Proposal, C)
- Draft a plan to enable detection of relays falling between scanners
in torflow (Proposal)
- Enhance torflow to expose scanner information for relays (which
scanner the relay ran on and similar information) (Python)
- Implement the analysis tools to detect when relays do fall between
scanners (Python?)
- Enhance Collector to download and archive these documents (Java)
- Enhance OnionOO to expose bwauth data (Java)
- Enhance Atlas to expose bwauth voting information per-relay to show
historical measurements and scanning status (HTML/JavaScript/CSS)

-tom