[tor-project] New Tor Metrics graph: Tor Browser downloads and updates

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Jan 29 16:19:34 UTC 2017

On 27/01/17 21:18, Arthur D. Edelstein wrote:
> Hi Karsten,

Hi Arthur,

> This is great work and very important for us -- thanks for doing it!

Glad to hear it's useful!

> I think a number I would be interested in knowing is the total
> (cumulative) number of downloads and update requests for each version
> (6.0.0, 6.0.1, etc.). Is that something we can extract from the data?

We don't keep version strings when aggregating statistics, but we do
keep channel information (stable, alpha, hardened).  Maybe have a look
at the .csv file and data format to decide whether that works for you, too:

https://metrics.torproject.org/stats/webstats.csv

https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html#webstats

I'm worried that adding version strings to the .csv file, in particular
until patch level, would be too much.  Major and minor version might
work, but even that would grow the file a lot.

Another option would be that you run your own Metrics webstats module
that downloads from webstats.torproject.org and puts logs into a local
PostgreSQL database.  I'd be happy to walk you through the setup process.

All the best,
Karsten