[tor-project] New Tor Metrics graph: Tor Browser downloads and updates

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Fri Jan 27 23:31:02 UTC 2017

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:49:01 -0800
Arlo Breault <arlo at torproject.org> wrote:

> > On Jan 27, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Yawning Angel
> > <yawning at schwanenlied.me> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:15:41 +0100
> > Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
> >> - hellais asked at yesterday's Vegas meeting: "how many times does
> >> a normal tor browser do an update ping every day?" which was
> >> answered by mikeperry and gk with "twice" "and on every start".
> >> This is probably something we should clarify in the graph
> >> description.
> >
> > If the definition of "update ping" is fetch the JSON file at:
> > `extensions.torbutton.versioncheck_url`, then their comments don't
> > match what I saw in the code...
> >
> > https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbutton.git/tree/src/chrome/content/torbutton.js#n808
> >
> >  const kMinSecsBetweenChecks = 120 * 60; // 2.0 hours
>
> Probably, `app.update.interval`
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/tree/browser/branding/official/pref/firefox-branding.js?h=tor-browser-45.7.0esr-6.5-1#n9

Ugh.  So there's 2 different update check mechanisms that Tor Browser
uses, on different intervals, fetching data from different hosts, in
different formats.

FWIW, the sandbox update check just uses the XML format data on
aus1.torproject.org (prefers fetching from the .onion), with the timer
set to every 2 hours.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel