[tor-project] The tor network is constrained by.... (meek, exits, etc)

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Tue Jan 10 19:13:41 UTC 2017

I am continually getting asked this question and then asked to back it
up. I'm hoping the metrics team might be able to guide me here....

Firstly, while we don't have (public) datasets showing this, I am
fairly certain that the public meek bridges have their bandwidth
capped (to limit costs) and raising that cap would directly improve
the speed of meek users. (Implying that the bottleneck the majority of
the time is the meek transport.)  Right?

Secondly, I know it's too simplistic to say "Our exits are operating
at 85% of capacity, our guards are 65% and our middles at 40%" (for a
host of reasons, including guard/middle overlap) but how close can we
get to something simple that demonstrates more exits will help the
(non-bridge) network the most? (If that is in fact the case!)

I might have more questions to relay, but for now these seem to be the
main ones.

-tom