[tor-project] NYC meetup notes

George george at queair.net
Thu Dec 14 17:11:00 UTC 2017

Vasilis:
> Hello,
>
> George:
>> Posting to tor-project@ as recommended:
>>

>> Greetings all.
>>
>> Just a quick note on the NYC event focused on running relays.
>
> [snip]

Sorry.. .playing catch-up here.

>> Input from others onlist encouraged. This is a more general issue
>> everyone can brain dump into.
>
> Great stuff, sounds like you had some fun there!
>
> May I suggest you to upload notes, presentation slides or other material
> to Trac?

What I have is the presentation in magicpoint format:

https://github.com/gman999/doc/blob/master/presentations/relay-ops/20171207-relayops-upload.mgp

fork, split, do whatever you want.

> Personally I will be interested in the *BSD and hardware diversity
> discussions but also on the topic "running relays from home" as these
> topics are always popping during meetups.

Me and a buddy were the "bsd people" in the room, so we were surprised
when a third of those who said they wanted to run relays intended to use
a *BSD.

I really need to sort out a basic doc on this addressing things like:

* are you sure you want to run a bsd? ;)
ie, probably the best bet to stick to an OS you know well.

* capabilities of BSDs
yes, binary packages and source updates is part of the base system

etc.

> On the last meetup in Chile a person was asking how one can setup a
> relay in a Windows OS (don't remember with version). I mentioned that
> this is not such a good idea but since I'm not acquainted with this OS
> perhaps I should have mentioned something else.

Right, and I mistakenly said "good" to that in the past, not getting the
status of the current Windows port.

> The team from the "south" (whatever this means) tries hard to use a
> table listing from most of the events happened in the region
> (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam/Projects/GlobalSouth#Events).
> This helps us in finding out previous events that are interesting to
> Tor, gather notes, presentation slides or other materials and most
> importantly provides an incentive for people to do the same in their
> area as quite often these events tends to also connect people living in
> the same city/area.

Yes.. . and this is a critical question I/we have.

My default position on new mailing lists is "no."  They tend to
proliferate beyond usage.  I'm sure others know what I'm talking about.

Yet the needs you stated are vital.

OTOH, if we could maybe replicate your trac entry, I'm guessing that
will be a good step.

In NYC, we really do have a good ocean to swim in with events and
possible user group presentations.

34A6 0A1F F8EF B465 866F F0C5 5D92 1FD1 ECF6 1682