[tor-project] Intent to Minimise Effort: Fallback Directory Mirrors

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 01:12:43 UTC 2017

> On 28 Aug 2017, at 18:15, Linus Nordberg <linus at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote
> Sat, 26 Aug 2017 22:39:52 +1000:
>
>> So I can't see any reasons to keep running opt-ins.
>
> Are we listing non-exits?

Yes. Non-exits and under-used exits are the best fallback directory
mirrors, because they are under less load.

> I suppose those might see a radical change in
> their "IP reputation" when they end up on the blocklists after the next
> ransomware attack. Exits are already in the lists.

Yes, there is a higher risk that a fallback will end up on one of these
lists. But all public Tor relays are at risk of ending up on a list like
this.

>>> This is a good idea, *if* we still think an opt-in is necessary.
>>
>> Isn't that way to collect operator intentions also useful in opt-out
>> mode? (instead of continuing to use emails) Or how do you plan to
>> collect the opt-out info?
>
> Why are emails preferred over other methods? Another options would be
> wrapping a script that ops can run to create a cyberpunk trac ticket and
> opt-out. This is probably easier than merging emails. But maybe we do
> not want to handle this through trac.
>
> I'd be happy to help w/ that eventually, and the fallback script.

This is a good idea.

At the moment, I take emails sent to me or tor-relays, and turn them
into trac comments or trac tickets. If we put it directly on trac,
anyone could handle the ticket.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n