[tor-project] Idea for the Tor open hackdays

Allen Gunn gunner at aspirationtech.org
Fri Aug 25 14:12:55 UTC 2017

Hi friends,

I think this is all great thinking. Few more thoughts below:

On 08/25/2017 06:57 AM, Alison Macrina wrote:
> These are great ideas. We are planning to create the open hack day
> schedule in advance (just like we're sharing out the regular meeting
> schedule in advance). I think this schedule could have a few components:
>
> 1) introduction to teams/projects (Arturo's idea, beginning of day one
> (with some brief summaries of those on the wiki for people who show up
> after these introductions)

I encourage "modeling for scale" here; if you actually give folks the 10
minutes mentioned below, 6 topics fill an hour. I recommend a much
shorter e.g. 1-minute verbal format, focused on goals, with details
being provided in smaller groups.

Otherwise lots of folks could get stuck in a much longer intro death
march when they know what they want to start working on. And every
minute spent in plenary is at least an hour of collective work time not
happening.

Also, in terms the excellent "user-centered design" you are advocating
for Arturo, a couple more thoughts:

* I think we want to model for folks drifting in through the day, I
doubt folks will all be present for a morning plenary.

* To that end, I suggest we add some "real time way-finding" support,
which is fancy language for putting up signs for any hack sessions that
are open for joining. Format TBD.

* I have also seen excellent work done with "designated greeters" who
can engage new/late arrivals through out a hack day, explaining what's
going on, and walking them around to explain their choices at that moment.

* There is also the issue or orienting new folks to norms around
guidelines and code of conduct.

peace,
gunner