[tor-project] Idea for the Tor open hackdays

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Fri Aug 25 11:50:43 UTC 2017

Hi Tor people,

I would like to propose an idea for the Tor open hackdays at the Montreal dev meeting.

I think we can improve how people coming to the Open hackdays are guided towards finding some interesting Tor related project to hack on.

If I were a new comer, showing up to the open hackday I would probably have a hard time figuring out:

a. What are all the various projects that Tor is working on and which ones would be most suited for my interests and skills
b. Who are the people that I should be speaking to in order to get guidance on what and how to hack on a thing

Given this, what I would like to propose is that we have a very minimal agenda for the first part of day 1 of the Open hack days, where 1 representative from each Tor team (or project) or anybody else interested in pitching their idea, gives a 10 minute max presentation telling people:

- What is the project they are working on
- What are some of the open problems/things they would like people to hack on
- What sort of skills are needed in order to hack on them
- Who they should speak to
- If there is some sort of semi-planned designated time and location mention that too

I would make the whole thing also open for people from the community to pitch their own ideas and recruit people to join them.

What do you think?

~ Arturo