[tor-project] Cloud Compute Resources for Tor Browser

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 00:46:54 UTC 2017

> On 22 Aug 2017, at 01:51, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
>
> Price is then the one axis, the other access is accessibility. The
> advantage of EC2 is that when we publish the development image, anyone
> who wants to contribute to Tor Browser and is willing to pay their own
> cost can get a pre-set up dev environment that they know will compile
> correctly (and quickly). That's advantageous. I don't know if Hetzner
> has anything similar. (And we can spin up more with zero
> configuration, and revert with zero effort.)

Another advantage of AWS is you can spin up the machine when you want
to compile, and then turn it off again when you're done testing.

So you don't need to pay for the machine to be up all day for the whole
3 months - it only needs to be up when it's being used.

This might be a way we can afford to give each GSOC / TBB dev their
own machine.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n