[tor-project] Cloud Compute Resources for Tor Browser

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Aug 18 22:15:06 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 01:45:58PM -0700, Shari Steele wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'm going to respond to you privately to help clarify this some more.

The alternative is that we get dedicated computers from Hetzner, and
pay ~$100/mo for Tor Browser build machines. I think we have something
like two of those that we pay for right now: one for Windows builds,
and one for Tor Messenger builds, and we've been talking about getting
a third to help the Tor Browser team do builds.

It's not clear to me whether getting the Hetzner computer is the better
or worse idea. There's the price tradeoff; also maybe we're looking for
different security goals, e.g. between sandbox developer computers vs
official build machines; and maybe the Cloud image is easier for people
to work with. But in an ideal world, we would pick the better idea and
stop needing to do the worse one. :)

--Roger