[tor-project] Cloud Compute Resources for Tor Browser

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Aug 18 18:05:39 UTC 2017

On 18 August 2017 at 11:20, Shari Steele <ssteele at riseup.net> wrote:
> Can you be more specific about the actual costs?

Kinda!

> Are you saying that for all of our GSOC interns combined, we'd need to pay one single charge of $825.72 to get 3 months plus the approximately $3/month over the course of the year?

That is an option (and cheaper).

> Or would the $825.72 charge be for each GSOC intern?

This is also an option.

The cheaper one means they'd all share the same machine. It'd still be
an improvement over what they'd have otherwise, but it wouldn't be as
ideal as giving each their own machine.

But in any case, I think this is really most valuable for Tor Browser
GSOC students. Other GSOC students (working on other projects)
probably don't need a machine at all (or could get similar efficiency
improvements with a less powerful (and cheaper) machine. And we may
not even have a TB GSOC student next year, it all depends.

-tom