[tor-project] Make it harder to brute-force Trac user passwords

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 03:41:06 UTC 2017

> On 7 Aug 2017, at 16:39, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How should we set up trac regarding brute-forcing? Are there other
>> possibilities I missed? I'd love to hear your feedback on this.
>
> Use a compromised passwords list as a way of rejecting easily guessed
> passwords:
>
> https://www.troyhunt.com/introducing-306-million-freely-downloadable-pwned-passwords/
>
> Require the trac replacement to support 2FA.

Enforce a minimum password length. (Any other requirements are
counter-productive, as machines aren't good at guessing entropy.)

Use an exponentially-increasing timeout for the next login every time
a login fails for a user. (Some sites do it for failed logins per IP
address, too, but that's silly, because open proxies.) This is
equivalent to an automatically-resetting lockout, but requires the
attacker to spend as much time as the lockout time setting it up.

Use some other kind of credential rather than a password.
(I'd find this inconvenient, because my other credentials are hard to
attach to some of the machines I use trac on.)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org