[tor-project] [Proposal] Social Contract

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Apr 5 06:26:00 UTC 2017

Georg Koppen:
> Damian Johnson:
>> I'd be fine with the following alternative for a vote: ask on
>> tor-internal@ if anyone opposes to the ratification of the social
>> contract. If after two weeks zero people object then it's ratified.
>>
>> If at least one person says nay it goes to a vote.
>
> That's not a good idea. You would basically say "no" as you want to have
> a vote and then we'd have a vote. That would basically boil down to you
> saying "It's getting a vote because I, Damian, say it gets a vote."

I realize that you probably wanted to say "at least one person which is
not me". Sorry if I got you wrong. But I still think this is the wrong
thing to do (apart from the fact that there is not even a second sponsor
for the proposal as far as I can see it and it is thus not clear to me
that there will be anything to vote about if we followed our process
strictly).

First, the social contract is already ratified. If nobody says anything
against it on tor-internal it would mean it would be ratified again by
rough consensus. Why should we do that twice by the same method just
weeks apart?

Second, you get all the possible downsides I mentioned in my other mail
if just one person says "no". That still seems not worth it (it adds to
voting fatigue, possibly produces contraditory outomces etc. etc.)

Georg