[tor-project] IFF 2017 - Calling for your session proposal(s)

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 06:20:15 UTC 2016

/---------------------------\      /-----------------------\
|     "Private" Network     |      |        Internet       |
|                           |      |                       |
|   User--------------\    ----------   /-server       ___ |
|        User-------------| Firewall |-------server        |
|                ------/  |          |\-server             |
|    User--------/  /      ----------  \---                |
|             User-/        |  ^   |       \-----server    |
\---------------------------/ /|\  \-----------------------/

                               /
                              /
                      Freedom Added
                       and removed
                         here! :)

(Five newlines?)
(See [0] if you don't understand the reference for the artwork)

Shari beat me to the annoucement, but that's not a problem - this'll be a
little more detailed. I've been slacking a bit too much on this.

I'd like to encourage everyone in submitting a proposal for hosting a session
at IFF [1][2]. Next year IFF will be 6-10 March. Specifically, many of you
should look at the Tools and Tech theme - but the other themes are equally
interesting depending on your interests. (Yes, I am promoting this because I'm
on the team selecting the sessions, and yes I loved Valencia and IFF so much
for the last two years I think we should all go hangout for a third year).

All proposal submissions are due by 28 November (1 month from today. No, I
don't know which timezone).

You can learn about the other themes on the website [2], but below is the
summary of Tools and Tech:

    The Tools & Technology Theme creates a space for the technologists that
    are driving the next generation of security and privacy tools to share
    knowledge and concerns, as well as to work collectively on core
    infrastructure and known obstacles. It will feature workshops, sessions
    and hackathons to improve the quality of existing tools and support the
    development of innovative solutions to technical and real-world problems.

    Topics for the Tools & Technology Theme include:
      - New tools and latest developments in circumvention technologies
      - Tool monitoring: i.e. ensuring what we are using and propagating is
        still good?
      - Tool contextualization and transferability
      - Hardware Security

I can think of at least one person or team that fits each of these, so I'll try
getting in touch with you, but I hope everyone will consider submitting a
proposal.

Just some thoughts:

  - Workshop or hackathon for OONI and lepidopter
  - Panel about testing Tor with shadow/chutney/testnet and the future
  - Presentation about Tails on QubesOS on X200 using libreboot
  - Presentation on distributing Tor in censored regions and how it's improved
  - Presentation on OONI, its growing dataset, and how the backend was designed
    to be webscale compatible.
  - Presentation on Metrics, the challenges of obtaining data, and its
    excellent visualizations
  - Something with bridges, bridge auth, bridgedb, monitoring bridges, ...
  - ??

There are many potential sessions, let me know if you're interested or have any
questions. I should mention here that all sessions are either 1 hour or 3 hours
long, so factor that into the equation, as well.

Thanks,
Matt

[0] https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/10/30/Local/Images/GOOGLE-CLOUD-EXPLOITATION1383148810.jpg
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-infiltrates-links-to-yahoo-google-data-centers-worldwide-snowden-documents-say/2013/10/30/e51d661e-4166-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html