[tor-project] Learning how to give talks & getting practice

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sun Oct 2 19:48:44 UTC 2016

This was originally sent to tor-meeting@, but is being forwarded here by
request. Hope it is useful! =)

-------- Original Message --------

Hi all,

   At the meeting, there was a discussion on how people can learn how to
give talks -- particularly if they have some experience but want to
refine their skills a bit.  I'm not sure if there was a proper
report-back on it, but here are some suggestions on getting experience:

1) Join Toastmasters or similar clubs
Toastmasters costs money ($128/year in Boston), but there are lots of
similar clubs on Meetup and around universities that don't cost anything
and are a great way to get over fear of speaking and get feedback on
technique.

2) Prepare and give a talk to your cat
Or by yourself.  Presenting your talk to yourself (out loud) is a great
way to figure out what works and what doesn't, or what passages just
need more work.  It's also good to do this before giving a proper talk
-- not just for practice, but also to make sure that your talk is within
time limits.

3) Give talks at small events that aren't recorded
Presenting a lightning talk at a hackerspace or small conferences can be
a low-stress way to get experience.

4) Hard Mode
Give talks that *are* recorded, and pick apart your performance later by
watching that talk on YouTube.  I wouldn't say I *recommend* this, but
have definitely done it ;P

MOAR TIPS:
http://web.mit.edu/urop/resources/speaking.html
https://www.toastmasters.org/Resources/Public-Speaking-Tips

--
Accept what you cannot change, and change what you cannot accept.
PGP: 0x03cf4a0ab3c79a63