[tor-project] Cross-team OONI and Tor Browser project: default bridge checking

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Wed Nov 23 18:13:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 10:09:16AM -0800, John Gilmore wrote:
> If you make all the OONI instances test all the bridges... then when the
> Chinese firewall operator wants to know where all the current bridges
> are... they just have to run an OONI instance...?

It's not *all* the bridges, just the few dozen default ones that are
hardcoded into the source code of Tor Browser, the ones that are already
easy to discover. Not the secret bridges from BridgeDB. The default
bridges do get blocked eventually (only by the GFW, as far as we know),
but they also sometimes break and nobody notices for a while.