[tor-project] Blog spam hygiene and a plan for the future

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 03:20:18 UTC 2016

> On 22 Nov. 2016, at 14:16, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> In the mean time though: (and probably these plans will serve us well
> post-migration too)
>
> A) I think our #1 problem is when people do a blog post, allow comments,
> maybe process and respond to comments for a while, but then forget about
> the post and let the spam comments pile up. The spam comments then make
> it harder for other people to find real comments, and things spiral out
> of control.
>
> A2) So if you're doing a blog post, and you want to interact with users,
> please do enable comments! Just be sure to deal with comments as they
> show up, and switch the post back to 'read only' when you're no longer
> planning to deal with them.

Most blog software allows you to set a default length of time that
comments will be open.

I think it would help to set a default of, say, 7 days.
And then blog posters can modify that if they wish, but they don't have to
remember to turn it off.

Does our current software allow that?
What is it set to?

Does our post-migration software allow that?
What do we want it to be set to?

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n