[tor-project] Notes from October 27 2016 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Nov 1 15:45:12 UTC 2016

See this posting for context:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2016-April/000223.html

Notes for October 27 2016 meeting:

Alison:
1) Not much to report this week: working on membership docs, doing
lots of trainings around New England, USA

Roger:
1) It looks like we're moving forward on a preliminary NSF proposal to
work on a plan for a live testing Tor network, which can help answer
more realistic research questions than tools like Chutney or Shadow
can answer. If we do it we'll be submitting it within a week. Cass is
in the loop.
2) Reminder that I'll be offline from Nov 3 through Nov 11ish.

Kate:
1) Coordinating a few blog posts
2) Networking with colleagues in other NGOS (best practices, etc.)
3) Stillll following up with major stories in the offing (that have
been going forever).
4) Not much else this week (was sick for a couple days earlier)

Arturo:
1) Got the thread for the UX design hire started
2) Publishing a report on censorship in Egypt that includes some
analysis of how they are blocking Tor:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/egypt-network-interference/
3) Published announcement of the Hackthon in Berlin (seems like the
metrics team is also there during those days, yay!)
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/berlin-hackathon-2016/

Georg:
1) Got nightly builds working again (thanks to ln5)
2) SponsorU work and release preparations

Nick:
1) Let's keep the testing coming!

Karsten:
1) We're debugging the new sync feature of CollecTor and should have a
release in the next couple of days.
2) Will soon need help with invoicing for the first completed Sponsor
X task.
3) We'll soon have a web designer to help with Metrics website
improvements and Atlas usability tweaks.

Isabela:
1) Silvia - new services maintainer starts on Nov 2nd! - I am trying
to organize her on-boarding as I won't be online as much due to trip
to Chile
2) Linda is kicking ass :) I couldn't be happier with the work she is
doing. We are closing the loop with the security slider on orfox, she
also documented all this work in the team wiki and organized the whole
thing. Now she is preparing for her trip to Berlin and for our next
job which is to work with the metrics team on the site usability report
3) Preparing for Chile - 3 different talks and one workshop -
translating a lot of things to spanish etc
4) Working on Q3 report for DRL (vixe maria!)
5) Trying to get people to test tor alpha release
6) grant stuff - hiring new people stuff

Shari:
1) lots of preparation for end-of-year campaign
2) preliminary planning stuff for Amsterdam 2017 meeting
3) catching up after time out of the office, Tor meeting, etc.