[tor-project] Fwd: Launching Ethics Guidelines

micah micah at riseup.net
Fri May 13 16:01:42 UTC 2016

Virgil Griffith <i at virgil.gr> writes:

> I have never harvested .onion addresses from a HSDir.  All I've ever done
> is cache NXDOMAIN responses, which I've now stopped doing.  I also stopped
> adding to the /sitemap.xml (which I was doing) because it made people upset.

>From what you write, it sounds like you didn't harvest .onions from
HSDirs, you did cache NXDOMAIN responses, but stopped, and you stopped
adding to /sitemap.xml, that is all good.

However, you did not make any clear statement that you are not doing
something else that people may similarly object to, but just dont know
about it yet, or don't realize how it is being used in a way that may
not be ethically ok for the community.

You said "All I've ever done", which is using the past tense, but that
doesn't tell me that you are not doing something now, or will do so in
the future.

Can you make such a statement now? Are there other things you are doing
with Tor that the general community does not know about and cannot make
an ethical evaluation?