[tor-project] Launching Ethics Guidelines

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Thu May 12 20:02:12 UTC 2016

> If this is what you mean, I would suggest that having no service (or having
> no money), is better than allowing others to collect unknown quantities of
> data on users. (Isn't this precisely what Tor is trying to prevent?)

Yes this is what I mean.  See the bottom of this email for a
presumably more palatable bitcoin-based solution.

> It seems unwise to release a days' worth of minimised user data on a public
> mailing list, when the collection of that data is itself under discussion. If
> the community guidelines are that people should not behave like this, and
> you've already publicly behaved like this, that puts you in a very awkward
> position.

I accidentally posted the URL to the list.  My error.  I sent the
updated URL to isis/matt.  I have complete confidence in each of them
to distribute the data as they see fit.

> It's similar to the position that exits and rendezvous points are in if they
> are one-hop proxies.

Yes!  I strongly support this analogy.  Tor2web is a one-hop proxy.
Ergo I discourage using Tor2web for anything but regular people
linking and sharing onionsite content.  Unfortunately, the demand for
that solitary use-case is immense.

> Stem which is good, because I find the compromises
> that would require unacceptably distasteful.

I don't like the compromises either, but I see no way around it while
doing this at scale (1000+ hits/sec).  The only comparable operation
is torservers.net.  I am immensely jealous of their stream of grants.

An aside, speaking of Torservers, onion.to also allows Google to crawl
the onion-web, i.e.,
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aonion.to&oq=site%3Aonion.to

Just yesterday this practice was compared to rape.

> Thanks, atagar — you hit the nail on the head. A
> community member may not make compromises such as
> this on behalf of the community.

There was and does not exist any document or policy for what
constitutes something worth checking-in about, or even whom to
check-in with.  Moreover, my previous impromptu check-in place,
tor-assistants@, no longer exists.  However, if the communtiy is
simply asking to say aprised of any monetization/sustainability
changes, sure.  Can do.  Just give me someone to do this with and they
will be well-informed.  I'll start a blog.

On the topic of monetization, there remains the unexplored strategy of
doing top-up metering akin to SatoshiPay.io .  The technology hasn't
been attempted at this scale, but it would resolve the ad-network
problem.  So yes lets put that on front-and-center for onion.link
development and see how that goes before being forced to choose ads.

Okay good.  Yes, this is a step forward.

-V