[tor-project] Launching Ethics Guidelines

Tom Leckrone semprephi at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:51:46 UTC 2016

> On May 12, 2016, at 12:29 PM, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:

<snip>

> I'm not gonna say "monetization is evil, shame on you". That's silly.
> Folks need to pay their rent and for a project to have full-time
> attention it needs some funding source source. But do be careful. As
> you've already seen the compromises this is forcing you to make go
> well past making you a pariah to many folks in this community.

Thanks, atagar — you hit the nail on the head. A community member may not make compromises such as this on behalf of the community. When community work is involved, each contributor is expected to disclose plans such as this to peers within the community. Virgil clearly should have known this, and his refusal to recognize it even now places an exclamation point on the matter.

I really appreciate all your work at getting this right,

Tom