[tor-project] Launching Ethics Guidelines

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu May 12 01:21:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 07:36:25PM +1000, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:
> The rendezvous point (and possibly the introduction point) could terminate the connection if it has a single hop on both ends. However, this could result in false positives if the consensus gets out of sync.

Yes, I think we should do this. It is to protect the relays, in just
the same way as exits currently refuse to exit if the previous hop isn't
a relay:

> Or is there a reliable way for a relay to detect non-relays without using the consensus?

Nope, the consensus is the best way we've got.

If we add this feature, we'll want to mod
directory_fetches_from_authorities()
like we did for #1751, to make sure potential rendezvous points
aggressively keep up with new directory information (like exits do).

You're right that we also want a mechanism to avoid both sides
innocently trying to do the 1-hop thing, and then finding that they
failed because they both tried it. I think your notion of a line in
the hsdesc is not a bad one.

It looks like
is the place to move forward here.

--Roger