[tor-project] Which domains have onion addresses with EV Certs

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Fri May 6 23:31:46 UTC 2016

Paul Syverson <paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 05:11:25PM +0000, Peter Palfrader wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 May 2016, Paul Syverson wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have a list of domains with EV Certs for onion addresses
>> > or know where to easily obtain such?
>>
>> http://api.ctwatch.net/domain/onion might provide a good approximation.
>>

> Thanks weasel. That's a big help.
>
> I guess I should have also asked, and ask now if people know
> of say Alexa 500 companies with onion addresses (not necessarily
> with CA certs). I know the 32c3 slides aluded to knowing of several.
> It would be nice to have any and all examples people know of.
>
> aloha,
> Paul

Hello Paul,

a few months ago we made a wiki page listing big websites with onion
addresses. We used https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/projects/WeSupportTor
but it seems like a cypherpunks account has since reverted most of our changes :(

While writing the wiki page we discovered that tons of websites have onion
counterparts, and it was not clear which ones (if not all) should be mentioned
on the wiki page. For example, the (now defunct) darkweb-everywhere extension
has hundreds of onion rules for websites:
    https://github.com/chris-barry/darkweb-everywhere/tree/master/rules

Right now, the WeSupportTor wiki page is basically a list of "cool websites
with onions" which is not particularly useful (it's basically someone's hidden
wiki).

As you suggest, it could be interesting to publish the list of "Alexa 500
websites with onion addresses" which is a more objective measure. I wonder what
other objective/official lists could we use to measure onion adoption?