[tor-project] Onion sites vs onion services vs hidden services

Jesse V kernelcorn at riseup.net
Thu May 5 11:58:53 UTC 2016

On 05/04/2016 11:54 AM, Nathan Freitas wrote:
> Actually, for me, the user of the word "service" is something that is a
> machine-readable endpoint, an API or protocol, while "site" is a meant
> to have some human-facing aspect that is able to be browsed or read
> through a web browser or something of that nature.
>
> I would say that Ricochet is only an onionservice, while something like
> SecureDrop or Globaleaks would be an onionsite that offers onionservices
> as part of the application.

I agree. These terms correspond to existing terms like websites,
webpages, and web services.

Just for clarification, it looks like we're thinking:
"hidden services": old term, migrating away from this name
"onion services": new term, applies to servers bound to any TCP port
	"single onion service": a non-anonymous onion service
"onionsite": a website hosted in the .onion space

--
Jesse V