[tor-project] Onion sites vs onion services vs hidden services

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Wed May 4 07:36:23 UTC 2016

On Wed, 4 May 2016 01:30:13 +0000
Alison Macrina <alison at libraryfreedomproject.org> wrote:
> So, I want to propose that we choose onion sites or onion services
> once and for all (I'm in favor of the former because most users have
> no idea what is meant by "services"; it sounds too vague). Then,
> whenever we see somewhere on torproject.org or any of our
> documentation or whatever that still reads hidden services or onion
> services, that we kill it with fire.

Disagree, because this further reinforces the idea that the internet is
centered around port 80/443, and is nonsensical given some of our
prominent use cases ("Ricochet is based around Tor onion services" vs
"Ricochet is based around Tor onion sites".  One of these statements is
correct, and one is not).

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel