[tor-project] TV producer seeks ordinary Tor use case

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Mar 24 20:47:13 UTC 2016

Hi Kate,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:25:36PM +0000, Kate Krauss wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working with a TV producer who is doing a three-hour film about the
> history of the Internet and wants to Interview someone in the US who
> uses Tor for a sort of every-day use case unrelated to the information
> security field (person avoiding stalking? Looking at your business competitor?
>
> I have a few people but she's not that interested in
> them. Can you think of anyone who would be good? It seems like a
> promising film. I'm planning to refer them to LFP but would like to see
> what I can do to identify other people as well.

It would help when trying to think of acceptable suggestions for
people to know the ones she turned down (or if you don't want to say
specifically, a rough description of the types of users that she
rejected and anything she might have said about why).

One thought that comes to mind off the top of my head is Glenn
Sorrentino, the guy that Griffin and I used as an example in our paper
in IEEE Security & Privacy Magazine (due out any time now) on onion
addresses. He does product design (http://www.glennsorrentino.com/ )
and discoveverd that his website hosting provider blocks Tor, so he
set up an onionsite http://at3o24mj2rfabkca.onion/ of it and followed
our advice about binding the sites using PGP. (Isis and others also do
that, but I'm guessing she doesn't count for the reasons you said.)
Cf. http://www.glennsorrentino.com/onion-binding.php (Note that the
paper he points to in the note is an earlier and IMO less complete
or compelling paper than the forthcoming one I just mentioned.)

I assume you were looking for clients using Tor rather than people
setting up onionsites, but maybe they would like this as another
example for reasons they had not yet considered.

aloha,
Paul