[tor-project] Tor at LibrePlanet 2016

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Tue Mar 22 16:12:29 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016, at 12:03 PM, David Goulet wrote:
> LibrePlanet 2016 was last weekend and we were a couple of Tor people
> there (I
> won't list them since I didn't ask them before writing this email).
> Please,
> "other Tor people", feel free to add anything to this thread about what
> happened there if you think it would be relevant.

I am sorry I could not make it this year, as I was out of town on a
family trip. Thank you so much for this report.

> I would like to share one thing with all of you that I learned there. It+
> might
> not be news to some of you but one part of it below was for me.

Through the Guardian Project, we have had numerous interaction with
activists, journalists, trainers and organizations based in or
supporting communities in Mexico. The triple threat of corporations,
government and cartels is real and dire, leaving pretty much no one, no
rule of law, or process to trust. Often these various groups are
infiltrated by one another, so you end up with mobile operators metadata
or surveillance data being acquired by cartels through employees who
sell it to them or are pressured into it.

With all of this, I can understand how free software and services and
projects like Tor must seem like real, tangible, critical allies, and am
glad you could connect with them on this topic.

> Anyway, I'll stop here. It was a great conference imo and I encourage
> anyone
> that can attend to do so next year.

I'll be there!

+n