[tor-project] Tor Lecture at ANU

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Fri Mar 18 07:46:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor
<teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been invited to give a lecture about Tor to a Computer Networks class
> at The Australian National University (ANU).
> It's a class I took more than a decade ago, and I've kept in touch with the
> lecturer.
>
> This is the first time I've given a lecture on Tor.
> I've been asked to speak about Tor in general, browser fingerprinting, and
> single onion services.
>
> I was thinking of using some of the images from:
> https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en#thesolution
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/hidden-services.html.en
>
> I'm scheduled for next Thursday Australian time (which is Wednesday UTC / US
> time).
>
> Does anyone have any tips for giving a talk on Tor, or any other diagrams
> that would be useful for slides?

You inquire politely about the wind.  Nonetheless, the whirlwild is
waiting patiently to be reaped.  Take your time, though: did I mention
that the whirlwind waits patiently?

Back last year (2015 for posterity) I did my regular lecture for a
bunch of happyfun MIT students who are smarter than me (since people
get smarter all the time) but who have not yet endured the Trials of
Tor.

The lecturers in that class forwarded me a list of questions that the
students had sent them about the lecture in advance.  Sadly, the
lecturers didn't anonymize the students (!) when sending me their
questions (!?!?!). Nonetheless, I think this corpus is a good input
for "what do clever US CS undergrads misunderstand about Tor in 2015"
which might also be a good input for "what assumptions will clever AU
CS undergrads carry falsely into Tim's lecture?"

So, I'll send it to you under separate cover.  I invite you to produce
a synopsis in a way that respects the undergrads' privacy in a way
their professors did not.

isn't devotion to privacy a counterintuitive thing?
--
Nick