[tor-project] Messages for Twitter about Tor blocking?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Thu Mar 17 22:29:49 UTC 2016

This may or may not be helpful, but all the way back in 2014, Isa worked on
a fix for this while still at Twitter. We met up at HOPE and discussed
concerns on both sides a bit, and talked about how to incorporate the exit
lists into their firewall. This was the first time the problem was fixed.

The problem reappeared after a couple of months, so the fix was clearly not
permanent. The second time I spoke with various people at Twitter and again
there was discussion of how to keep the whitelist/greylist up-to-date, how
to compliment twitter's existing report/behavior detection system, and how
restricting access from Tor IPs disproportionately affects censored Twitter
users (Turkey's block was still pretty fresh on people's minds).

All in all, there were three or so rounds of Twitter blocking discussion
between me and various Twitter peeps. I'd say that the three problems that
surfaced in these discussions were a) lack of "problem ownership" on either
side, b) lack of awareness of the problem on Twitter's side (everyone
always spoke as if the problem were new, that they'd never heard of it
etc), c) Twitter repeatedly implementing fixes and then either not updating
them or forgetting about them entirely. Automation is very straightforward,
at least for importing the list of exits.

You're in a better position than really any other Tor-affiliated person,
since you've been invited. So, I'm pretty optimistic about a long-term fix.

best,
Griffin

* caveat: Isa knew about the problem and already had a solid idea for a
fix. Now she works for Tor :-) Coincidence!!!

-- Sent from my phone. How many NSA programs is that? "The E in email
stands for Evidence." ~Willie Brown On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 5:58 PM, David