[tor-project] GSoC idea - Feedback/Report extension for TB

Nima Fatemi nima at riseup.net
Wed Mar 16 16:17:44 UTC 2016

Hi Georg,

Thanks for your feedback. Please find my response below:

> I think this is not a good project for GSoC at least for two reasons:
>
> 1) It seems to me that it is underwhelming for three months of work
> given that students are supposed to code full-time on it.

I'd argue that given the importance of this project, the current paid
staff and members of the community don't seem to have the capacity to do it.

Also, like I've mentioned before, this might seem like an easy project,
but has lots of details and it takes a lot of time to do it right.

I suggest we add this to the idea list ASAP and make the final decision
based on the quality of proposals we get. Rather than letting the whole
thing to die off just because it seems too easy.

> 2) I am not convinced we should develop yet another extension for all
> the things you listed. E.g. why should a way to give feedback not get
> implemented in Tor Browser directly instead of having it in a separate
> extension? Or why should those censorship related things not get
> implemented in Tor Launcher given that this is already the primary point
> for users to deal with bridges and pluggable transports?

Right, this is even better. It totally can be directly implemented into
Tor Browser and Tor Launcher. Not insisting on it to be an extension.

> Keep in mind as
> well that we have the goal to suggest the user a pluggable
> transport/bridge that works for her/him anyway in the future in case it
> is needed. This would avoid having to try all the transports hoping to
> finally find one that works.

Wow that's news to me and kind of a radical approach. Wouldn't that make
PTs a bigger bottleneck than what they already are? Plus PT users soon
seem to be going over 4 hops instead of 3 and that dramatically affects
the speed, specially for censored users whom are already battling with
TLS throttling and DPI. But this is a whole separate conversation and I
don't think it belongs to this thread.

PS: still waiting for sukhe and will to hear their thoughts.

Best,
--
Nima
0XC009DB191C92A77B | @mrphs

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it" --Evelyn Beatrice Hall