[tor-project] Support plan proposal

Colin Childs colin at torproject.org
Thu Mar 10 04:39:55 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Below is the support plan proposal that has been mentioned in the "State
of the helpdesk?" thread. Feedback is very much welcomed, as there may
be things I have not considered, or have missed.

Documentation updating:

1. Update Tor Browser user manual [1]
2. Update HS guide [2]
3. Update relay guides [3]

Note: When users contact the help-desk, the majority of questions would
fit into these three topics. The majority of the majority would fall
into the user manual, however there are still tickets about running /
maintaining relays and HSs.

Support portal creation and/or FAQ updating:

1. Convert RequestTracker articles[4] into user-usable resources

2. Determine if these resources should be added to FAQ, or to their own
page. My opinion, is that we could create something like Twitter's "Help
Center"[5] using a combination of these articles, and expanded FAQ entri
es.

3. If the help portal option is favored, researching which free
platforms we could use for this would be my next step. I'm also
confident that creating something with basic functionality would not be
a large time sink, however this seems like a problem that is likely solv
ed.

Providing direct user support:

I believe with the documentation updates, and making the support
articles more easily available will decrease the number of users who
require our assistance; but it will never result in no users requiring
assistance.

The best solution I can think of, is the following:

1. Finish "Documentation updating" and "Support portal creation and/or
FAQ updating" tasks
2. Announce the new resources on the Tor blog, and other platforms
3. Watch for and incorporate feedback on the new resources
4. Put out another call for volunteers, as well as reach out to previous
help-desk staff
5. Re-open the help-desk, to a (hopefully) more manageable number of
tickets.

[1]:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2016-March/000151.htm
[2]: https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html.en