[tor-project] Updating the Tor Browser user manual

Colin Childs colin at torproject.org
Tue Mar 8 12:32:29 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a great time in Valencia! As I mentioned in my
previous status report, here is my current plan for updating the Tor
Browser user manual. The idea behind doing this, is that a large portion
of the tickets that come into the help-desk could be directly resolved
by this document, if it were maintained and available in
a way that users could easily access.  I believe spending the time to
finish up the manual and make it available would be more helpful to the
help-desk, and the users than answering the hundreds of individual
questions posed by the users that are already answered in this manual.

When the help-desk initially started, the "short user manual" existed,
which was where the majority of answers for users came from. This was
extremely handy, as we were able to link them that document and the
majority of users could work through it themselves, saving the help-desk
for when they ran into issues. I'd like it if this could be the state of
affairs again, as it made the lives of help-desk staff a lot easier at
the time.

Please let me know what you think of the plan below:

- - Update certain outdated screenshots

- - Do a complete pass of content review, and update / clean up any
outdated or missing sections

- - Write out an update plan for the manual, as described in
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser/user-manual.git/tree/TODO

- - Find a home for the document on torproject.org, hopefully in a
mirrored location

- - Contact trusted translators to work on localizing the user manual, or
updating the parts that were already localized but updated.

- - Upload manual to Transifex, and let translators begin working on the
strings.

- - Discuss ways the manual could be added to the Tor Browser (Only after
it exists on the website)

- - Begin pulling in new translations from language teams with trusted
reviewers, and are at 100% completion

Thanks for looking this over!

- --
Colin Childs