[tor-project] meek-google suspension

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Thu Jun 30 21:35:31 UTC 2016

I managed to get some information on why meek-google got suspended on
App Engine. There was a botnet that used Tor and the public meek
instance for command communication. They shut it down for that reason. I
still haven't gotten any kind of official communication from Google
Cloud Platform.

I wrote a guide on how people can set up their own personal instance.
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2016-June/041699.html
I figure the botnet risk is far less this way, without a single central
service to freeload off of. Though of course far fewer people will be
able to follow these steps than were able to use a default
configuration.

Because I can't see just setting up a new account under the
circumstances, I'm planning to ask the Tor Browser devs to remove the
non-functional meek-google option.