[tor-project] List moderation or subscriber trimming on tor-talk@

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Jun 20 18:14:03 UTC 2016

   tor-talk@ has always been fairly off-topic and subject to overflow
from the cypherpunks list, but lately it seems like an endless barrage
of filter-evading nonsense. I'm filtering my inbox, but it doesn't seem
to help much. I filtered for subject & body content, then people omitted
specific names.  I filtered out specific senders, then people made new
accounts.

   There seem to be less than ten people who never seem to be on-topic or
moving any conversation forward.  And indeed, many of these people are
behaving the same way on other lists as well.  Long-term, these people
have been causing exponentially more distraction than any benefit their
(rare) good points have made.  While it's relatively easy for me to
ignore, nearly 300 emails in two weeks would be hard to ignore for
anyone who's just now subscribing to the list.  And those 288 messages
are filled to the brim with the most base tinfoil-hattery.

   So with all that said, I would like to broach the subject of
moderating tor-talk, or perhaps removing those few subscribers who
always seem to be off-topic.  Understandably, this is a controversial
topic, but I think it's critical to bring the list back to its normal
functions.

best,
Griffin

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary,
those who don't, and people who didn't expect a base 3 joke.