[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 23:30:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 12:19:27AM +0800, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> I want to be very clear.  Under this branding, it gives authorities a pass
> to imprison someone for zer use of Tor software and/or running a
> relay (regardless of whether said use was related to human rights
> activism.)  If said person is otherwise disliked, execution for things
> labeled as "human rights activism" is rarer these days, but it
> does still happen.

This is not branding. We're not trying to corner some market or increase
our market share through the creation of this Social Contract. We are
describing what the Tor community is/does/should be.

> ***This is not currently the case.***  But a branding akin to Human Rights
> Watch for Nerds makes the above scenario vastly more probable.

I yield this point to you. Indeed, currently Tor does not explicitly say it is
a Human Rights community - but the Tor community doesn't explicitly officially
say anything. These are the first formal documents the community is writing.
Similarly, on the front page of torproject.org there is not a single mention
of "human rights". This doesn't mean The Tor Project isn't a human rights
organization. On the contrary, as it was already mentioned, it's in their
mission statement. I know you do not have the naïveté needed for missing this
and it seems we would all be naïve to believe regional authorities don't know
this, too. The very fact tor is promoted and used as a censorship circumvention
technology within the regions you described shows how our "Western" idea of
freedom is already influencing these areas - and not only for whistleblowing.

I agree that there is some merit in the idea of forcing people to read between
the lines when other people are risking their lives. Obscuring an idea or
purpose does help in some instances (this is how censorship circumvention
works, after all), however, by not labeling Tor as a tool that promotes human
rights the Tor community is lying about what Tor does and why many of us
volunteer our time, money, and energy in support of it.

It's disconcerting you feel that this puts you in danger. It's quite sad that
Tor straddles such a fine line in this world, and it's amazing you've
successfully run Tor relays without much incident in that region of the world.
Thanks for being such a risk taker and standing up for human rights while it
wasn't generally promoted as such.

As an aside, some of the submissions for the the "Report on encryption,
anonymity, and the human rights framework" are interesting, too.
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/CallForSubmission.aspx

> I bet a Bitcoin that, within five years, someone will be executed in part
> due to this pivot.  Any takers?  I've lost bets before and I pay on time.

This is not a game and that bet makes me nauceous.