[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Alison macrina at riseup.net
Sun Jul 31 18:30:00 UTC 2016

dawuud:

> Dear Alison and the other authors of Tor Project Social Contract 1.0,
>
> Thanks for your hard work! +1 for the new social contract.
>
> I find it VERY SUSPICIOUS that anyone would argue against human rights being specified
> especially if that person operates tor2web servers which allows them to be an intermediary
> for other people's communication. I think our commitment to human rights means that we
> should seek to eliminate these types of distributed systems that do not praise either
> the end to end principal or the principal of least authority. They create deep pockets
> of authority but instead we should seek to more widely distribute the authority among
> the many actors in the system.
>

> No SPOFS (single points of failure)
> No admins!
>
> David

Hi David, thanks for this message. I think the points you've raised
above are *exactly* the kinds of things that social contract should make
us discuss together. If the SC is who we are/what we want to be, what
are the ways in which we are currently failing to meet those
commitments? This is one of the ways I see this document being used.

Alison