[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Alison macrina at riseup.net
Sun Jul 31 18:27:00 UTC 2016

Privacy and freedom of expression are human rights. This is no pivot.
Frankly, I think it is offensive that you purport to speak for 30% of
the world's population without more than anecdotal evidence of what they
ask for, and you're using those anecdotes to shame and victim-blame the
rest of us into sanitizing our message (which, as Lunar points out, is
one that 49 countries have adopted, including 10 in Asia, among those
are two of your examples, China and Thailand). You've even gone as far
as to say that we're putting people at risk of death or prison by
sticking to this message.

No. If using Tor puts our users at risk, the blame falls squarely on the
authorities who want to outlaw Tor and punish our users, not on us. As I
asked in a previous message, what is the limit of what you're asking us
to do? If we provide tools that journalists in countries with repressive
anti-press freedom laws, you're saying we're at fault if we advertise
our tools as such and those journalists end up facing arrest? By your
logic, we might as well say nothing about Tor ever, because it's bound
to offend some authority somewhere and have repercussions for users.

I agree that we need to do much more work reaching our users in the
Global South. But that requires building relationships directly with
them, not making paternalistic speculations based on one person's
handful of experiences with a tiny slice of those users.

Alison

Virgil Griffith: