[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Fri Jul 29 20:12:05 UTC 2016

Alison has a point about clients using bridges.  Although imperfectly, yes,
we can get clients through using bridges at some extra cost/bandwidth to
the Tor network.  For the sake or argument, let's assume we can get blocked
users through at zero extra cost, 100% of the time.

Assuming this, I wish to modify my two claims.  Pushing forward with making
explicit human rights advocacy the center of their mission statement, it
will also substantially increase the risk to Tor relay operators living in
Southeast Asia.  Because local operators are now involved, in no uncertain
terms, in intentional, explicit, foreign political human rights advocacy.

So I wish to revise my two claims to:

/// Operator Version ///
(1b) that reducing obstacles to *reducing risk to those operating Tor
relays* is a more effective way to help people in these regions, and the
network as a whole, than the moral support in a mission statement.

(2b) emphasizing human rights in the mission statement nonnegligibly
increases the risk of tangible, concrete threats to those operating relays
of immense service to the diversity and security of the Tor network, and I
cited some examples of this.

Bluntly speaking, I claim that less tangible benefits gained from having
human rights in the mission statement are outweighed by the increased risk
to freedom-fighting operators.  If adopted as-is, running a Tor relay
within the local area would become a notably more precarious choice.

-V