[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Kate ailanthus at riseup.net
Fri Jul 29 16:23:00 UTC 2016

Dear Virgil:

I doubt our social contract is going to trigger international legal
battles around Tor. What governments really don't like about Tor,
despite what they might say, is that we prevent them from spying.

However, let's think a moment about human rights.

Here is Tor's official mission statement:

"To advance human rights and freedoms by creating and deploying free and
open anonymity and privacy technologies, supporting their unrestricted
availability and use, and furthering their scientific and popular
understanding."

Governments like to paint the idea of human rights as "Western" -- but
that's not the opinion of people in those countries pushing for basic
freedoms.

For example, Chinese activists working on health, legal, and
environmental issues have told me, "The government says that human
rights are a western value, but don't believe them. Human rights are
universal." That was one of the first things one particular activist, a
doctor, told me just after he was released from prison for advocating
for healthcare for sick people in rural China.

Many people have risked their lives on this proposition--for instance,
the original signers of China's Charter 08:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_08

Lu Xiaobo, the Nobel Laureate, is in prison in China for signing Charter
08 (and he signed it knowing that it would likely trigger his
imprisonment). Many other people also went to jail for signing Charter 08.

The point of Charter 08 --which is based on the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights--is to say--"Despite what you have been told by the
government--people in China demand and deserve their human rights. Even
now."

Lots of awful people hate human rights and so do the secret police.
Tor must be an organization that doesn't accommodate them, but instead
finds ways to side with and support the people they would like to oppress.

--Kate

Virgil Griffith: