[tor-project] The Tor Project Social Contract

Alison macrina at riseup.net
Thu Jul 28 22:56:00 UTC 2016

Hello good people of tor-project@! I'm excited to present to you
something that a number of us core members have been working on for some
time now: the Tor Project Social Contract 1.0 [1]. Modeled after the
Debian Social Contract [2], the Tor Project Social Contract is a set of
promises to our community about what Tor stands for and why we create it.

I'm sharing it with all of you today so that we can work on
ratification. I think that the best way to do this is as follows:

By 6 August at 00:00 UTC, please respond to me or to the list if you
accept or object to this social contract so that we can ratify this
through rough consensus [3].

If objecting: Please be specific about your objections so that we can
discuss changes as needed. If you respond directly to me, I will assume
that you don't want your name shared with the group, but please specify
if you don't want your comments shared either. NB: THIS IS NOT AN
INVITATION TO EDIT BY COMMITTEE. I'm interested in feedback like "this
does not represent the Tor that I know" not "I'd like this sentence
reworded". Please also be kind, because this was written by humans.

If accepting: your florid prose about why you love it and think it's an
astonishing work of art that reflects the diligence and care exercised
by the authors is quite welcome. A show of hands (writing an email that
says +1) is also fine. Questions are welcome.

If this is successfully ratified, I will publish it on the Tor blog and
in some other places: probably the "About Tor" section of the website
and on the Community Team wiki. If you have great ideas for other places
this should live, let me know!

Thank you for your feedback, and thank you to all of the Tor folks who
worked on this, especially Lunar and Roger, who got it started.

Alison

[1]
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/UleWiALOvWDnWxEqPcAfr49tkHaM-h7PlSmoHlRb5Rv
[2] https://www.debian.org/social_contract