[tor-project] Privacy-enhancing vs Transparency-enhancing

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Sun Jul 17 17:48:28 UTC 2016

> I think what you're proposing has the exact same type of risk for Tor.

Three minor bits.

(1) In the abstract, both western and eastern societies are typically in
favor of whistleblowing.  But whistleblowing is represented in the
value-system very differently.  If you started drilling down into
specifics, asian authorities would accept that whistleblowing requires
anonymity for the whistleblower---so we're all factually on the same page
for what's involved.  The difference is that whereas the West conceives of
whistleblowing as a privacy technology, the East conceives of it as a
transparency technology.

(2) The bitcoin analogy is a little different because this tension arises
from conflicting conceptions privacy/transparency bitcoin actually
provides.  In the whistleblowing example, there's no such ambiguity on the
mechanics, yet the framings are still opposite.

(3) Historically speaking, Asia is the most anti-Tor region in the world.  I
assert that, even with asian authorities, there's often agreement on some
concrete specifics (e.g., the value of whistleblowing).  Putting these
concrete examples into their native framing makes it much easier to find
that mutual agreement.  And this would be a good thing for increasing
Asia's receptivity to Tor and related technologies.

Perhaps the most high-profile example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-corruption_campaign_under_Xi_Jinping
It is striking that this is a cause both the Paramount Leader of the
Chinese Community Party and Tor Project can get behind (ignoring details of
Xi's specific implementation).

-V