[tor-project] Privacy-enhancing vs Transparency-enhancing

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Sat Jul 16 22:50:42 UTC 2016

I recently had the pleasure of receiving some
OnionLink related phone calls from the Singapore Police Force.  They were
very polite and had noticeably impeccable English.

I learned some things from these discussions.

In Asia, the noun-phrase "Privacy Enhancing Technologies" is viewed with
suspicion.  But you frame the exact same thing as a "Transparency Enhancing
Technology", and they're all about that!

E.g., whistleblowing isn't seen as privacy enhancing for the individual,
but as transparency enhancing for the society!

Taking a step back, this may be an instance of the individualist vs
collectivist default frame of reference in Western vs Eastern societies.

I mention this as an example for how Tor can better survive, and perhaps
even gain cultural traction, in Asia.

-V