[tor-project] Notes from July 7 2016 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Jul 11 10:28:39 UTC 2016

See this posting for context:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2016-April/000223.html

Notes for June 30 2016 meeting:

Kate:
1) Helping with board-related stuff
2) Responding to media queries
3) Re-writing nontechnical blog posts to be actually nontechnical
(with love and affection; they are awesome)
4) Is Congress targeting our funding via the State Department?
Wondering if this is a response to the failed Feinstein-Burr bill.
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160701/18073734878/senate-funding-bill-state-dept-asks-it-to-figure-out-ways-to-stop-bad-people-using-tor.shtml
(will learn more soon and post something on Tor Internal)
- From Politico: ENCRYPTION CONCERNS MOVE TO A NEW BILL — The “going
dark” debate has crept into the State Department’s global internet
freedom agenda. The fiscal 2017 State-Foreign Ops spending bill
approved by the Senate Appropriations panel this week requires State
to detail safeguards to keep any spending under the program on
“circumvention technology” (which includes encryption) from being used
“for illicit purposes, such as coordinating terrorist activities or
online sexual exploitation of children.” The bill language mirrors
provisions in the House version of the legislation, which that
chamber’s Appropriations Committee hasn’t yet approved. Both bills
also continue a ban that began in fiscal 2016 on using State or USAID
money to establish outside email servers, a swipe at former Secretary
of State Hillary Clinton, now the presumptive Democratic presidential
nominee.
Read more:
http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/morning-cybersecurity/2016/07/still-more-work-to-do-on-export-controls-215132#ixzz4Djnh7eWI

Isabela:
1) Submitted last week the grant we worked with Cass for orfox / tor
browser for android 17.7k/6months
2) lots of DRL work (Q2 reports, M&E.. F-indicators organizing...
collecting docs for audit)

Karsten:
1) Busy coding and reviewing on various metrics-related codebases
together with iwakeh.  Putting out metrics-lib 1.3.0 this week.

Nick:
1) busy as heck with tor stuff
2) at PETS the week after next (17July through 24July).
3) let's make sure we get Seattle meeting right.
4) here comes a new tor release

Shari:
1) Seattle TorDev meeting invitees
2) community and corp working together