[tor-project] Meanwhile, at library conferences for coders--

Ian Goldberg tor at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jan 26 22:23:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 04:48:19PM -0500, Griffin Boyce wrote:
> Kate wrote:
> >Hello Kate Krauss,
> >If you are planning to use the on site childcare during the 2016
> >Code4lib conference, you will need to sign up by January 31st. The
> >childcare provider we are working with has asked for ample advanced
> >notice to ensure that we secure the right number of childcare staff for
> >each day of the conference.
>
>   This is great to see -- and increasingly common!  HOPE is doing
> this, various usability-related events have started doing this, and
> IFF/CTF has considered doing it as well.  I wonder if event most
> organizers just don't see it as a need, or if they can't get the
> logistics figured out.

Having dealt with this in the past as an event organizer, one major
issue is that, depending on the jurisdiction, the insurance/liability
implications can range from "throw a little money at it" (i.e. easy) to
"all conference organizers have to get the super-duper 'works with
children' background check" (i.e. ~impossible).

   - Ian