[tor-project] Distributed teams

Kate Krauss kate at torproject.org
Tue Jan 5 00:35:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

Here are a few articles I've collected about the special situation of
distributed teams--I'm forwarding them in case they are useful to any of
us (most of us are on such teams).

They are worth a read, though each organization is different; some of
these ideas would be great for Tor, while others would be terrible.

1. Work to do in person vs work to do remotely (some of these things we
do already): https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/software-in-person
by Sumana Harihareswara

2. From 18F, on best practices for distributed teams:
https://18f.gsa.gov/2015/10/15/best-practices-for-distributed-teams/

The person I've found who has really thought through the stresses and
pressures on remote workers, and what to do about this organizationally
is Oktavia Jonsdottir (https://www.irex.org/person/oktavia-jonsdottir).
She manages a very large, international, distributed team of people who
train human rights activists to use online privacy tools under high
risk, pressure, and time zones that span 14 hours (none of this is
documented on the web).  Her management decisions are based on
peer-reviewed research as well as her direct experience as a manager.

3. Finally, this classic--The Tyranny of Structurelessness:
http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm

Sincerely,

Kate

--
DONATE TO THE TOR PROJECT
Join our first-ever crowdfunding campaign!

Kate Krauss
Director of Communications
and Public Policy
kate at torproject.org
@TorProject
1-718-864-6647 (works for Signal also)
PGP: CC0D 9B42 DE89 D4D0 619B A606 DDEB 3937 7D18 973B