[tor-project] Research paper on differential treatment of anonymous users

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sat Feb 27 13:34:16 UTC 2016

Hey all,

   Just wanted to point to Sadia Afroz / David Fifield et al's research
on differential treatment of anonymous users -- such as CloudFlare's
blocking of Tor users.  Unfortunately, it's not "just" CloudFlare (which
holds substantial market share) and it's not "just" Tor users who are
impacted by these things.  It's a good read:

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~sa499/papers/ndss2016.pdf

   One curious finding is that some sites only block large exits.  I'd be
curious if an intended side effect were the ability to say "Oh we only
block 15% of Tor exits" rather than saying "We block [>>15%] of Tor
connections". Thoughts?

~Griffin

--
“We have to create; it is the only thing louder than destruction.”
~ Andrea Gibson