[tor-project] Moar Project Ideas!!

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Wed Feb 24 00:15:47 UTC 2016

David Goulet:
> On 23 Feb (14:13:15), Tom Ritter wrote:
> > See https://www.marc.info/?l=tor-dev&m=145440925917524&w=4
> > (Don't count this as a commitment to mentor, but we can talk about it.
> >
> > Custom Alerting
> > Effort Level: Low-Medium
> > Skill Level: Low
> > Likely Mentors: Karsten, Damian
> >
> > Tor has a lot of services that run in complicated ways. Bandwidth
> > Authorities and Metrics archives are two large examples. While DocTor
> > and DepicTor (consensus-health.torproject.org) provide alerting for
> > certain DirAuth related concerns - these other parts of the Tor
> > Project lack them. Improving the alerting around these systems would
> > give greater confidence in their operation and help resolve problems
> > faster.
>
> Network monitoring GSOC! Very very very good idea! :)

In some ways, that's the case. But if an intern works on monitoring
software, then we need to think from the beginning about who's going to
run it and who's going to pay attention to its results.

Otherwise, even if it's the best code ever, it's likely to be a waste at
the end of the Summer. (Please remember TorBEL.)

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>