[tor-project] HOPE XI - January 11th, CFP opens

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Feb 15 16:05:40 UTC 2016

On 12 Feb (18:34:06), Nima Fatemi wrote:
> David Goulet:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > On monday, the HOPE conference in NY happening on July 22-24 will open
> > its CFP.
> >
> > I will attend this event for which I think it's a great place to reach
> > hackers, activist, journalist and so on in North America. I know some of
> > you are planning also which is great. But I feel like we should also try
> > to submit a talk there. In the last two (4 years time), there were no
> > Tor talk at all.
> >
> > There are plenty of subject we can talk about but I would also like not
> > to repeat the 32c3 talks (at least not word for word). So, here it is, a
> > thread so we can think about it.
> >
> > Something that could be cool is: "I'm a Tor directory authority and here
> > how that works." or <insert idea>.
> >
> > I'm happy to "coordinate" this CFP effort if we think it's a good idea
> > and we want to do it. So knowing who is going and who is willing to
> > speak would be good :). I offer my service for that but it DOES NOT have
> > to be me necessarly (also the more the merrier).
>
> Hello David,
>
> Thanks for making the call for this. Is the CFP still open? Do you
> happen to have developed more ideas on what things we could perhaps talk
> about? I'm also going and I can talk about Library Freedom Project and
> our effort to bring online privacy to public spaces.
>
> Only in the last year as I started going to more public gatherings, I've
> realized we at Tor are evolving so fast and everyone is excited to know
> more about what we do and how we're doing it. We could do updates on Tor
> in literally every single conference and I guarantee it's never gonna
> get old ;) but let's be more creative than that! :D

CFP is still open and I would like us to submit _very_ soon though. I had
multiple talks with people about what we could talk about, here are some
ideas:

- Directory Authorities. How it works? How does that even work? and How does
  that work? For most people, this is a complete black box and we could
  make it white! :)

- Hidden Services. Of course, that's always a hype for some reason.

- Guards. Sooo many new things coming up with guards for which we do research
  also that is very exciting. We could have an epic talk about how they came
  to be, how they work, attacks and how we are fixing them.

So those are technical talks because I mostly talked to tech people about it.
Thus the question of what kind of talk do we want. An outreach one "State of
the Onion at HOPE" or let's go more technical/research for a hacker crowd.
However, 6 months has passed from congress so a Tor update would still be
relevant (and HOPE is each two years).

I believe that most people at HOPE know about Tor and watched State of the
Onion. It's quite a technical crowd often in my experience but I would lean
towards a balance of outreach and technical.

Thoughts?

> Another thing that came up on IRC yesterday, was the possibility of
> getting a booth (table) at HOPE for Tor, which remains Shari's and
> Roger's decision to make.

I wonder how useful that would be because we would basically be preaching the
Tor gospel to our own community... ?

Also, volunteers to do that for two days can be rough :S...

Cheers!
David