[tor-project] Our Jabber Server

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Fri Feb 5 20:00:47 UTC 2016

Greetings Everyone!

Thanks to weasel for bringing Debian Jessie to the server, we now have a
working usable Jabber server. Woot! Here is our XMPP score:

c2s: https://xmpp.net/result.php?domain=torproject.org&type=client
s2s: https://xmpp.net/result.php?domain=torproject.org&type=server

Everyone with an LDAP account can connect to the server. Else, you can't.
Before you can do that, you need to set your "rtc" password. Here is how:

1) Enter your user and ldap password at https://db.torproject.org/login.html
and press "Update my info".

2) At the very bottom, you should see this
https://people.torproject.org/~dgoulet/volatile/rtc-pass.png, the "Change rtc
password" field. Put your password in there. Unfortunately, it silent fails if
you enter a "too big of a password" and we are unsure of the maximum length so
I think 16 characters (based on my experiment) is the maximum possible.

3) Wait a couple of minutes so the database sync up and reaches the jabber
server. When you connect, if it fails, wait a bit more. Usually after 5 to 10
minutes it should work so report the issue if it still fails.

Useful informations about the server now and how to use it.

Your account is <ldap-user>@torproject.org. You have to enable TLS of course.
We also have a hidden service! It's: k2r67kry5haud25b.onion. To use it, set
the server of your account with it but the user must be your LDAP one that is
<ldap-user>@torproject.org.

It's federating that means you can add contact that are OUTSIDE of this server
such as riseup users or any workable jabber server supporting TLS.

Our TLS certificate is from Let's Encrypt and checksum is below. Remember that
in 3 months that fingerprint will change:

SHA256
Fingerprint=56:4B:0B:AC:7A:55:1D:8F:52:29:E0:A6:61:D7:0F:B6:EC:41:FC:59:FE:2B:B3:39:FA:14:23:65:38:13:26:A0

Finally, this server has a special quirk. It will _tell_ you when you are NOT
using OTR. I've put it in "optional" mode but we can also put it in
"mandatory" mode if needed which will force all messages going through to be
OTR encrypted.

I don't expect any big issues to arise once this server gets more users but at
first we might need to tweak some stuff thus restart it.

Enjoy!
David