[tor-project] Tor Dev Meeting in the Baltic States

Aaron Gibson aagbsn at extc.org
Mon Feb 1 11:50:01 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-16 18:49, Juris - torservers.net wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Jens was lately suggesting Jena (Germany) for the next dev meeting.
> I think it's a good idea to put another place up for discussion.
>
> As some of you know, I'm Latvian, so I'm familiar with the Baltic
> States.
>
> First of all, Latvia has a really fast internet (Top10 worldwide
> (Akamai)) and reasonable prices for food and living.
>
> The Latvian capitol Riga has an international airport, but afaik no
> direct flights to/from the US (one-stop flights only).
> Riga has a nice old city and it's not so far to a wonderful beach.
> It's safe to travel and the people are mostly friendly.
>
> Half of my family is living there, so I can offer helping hands, if
> needed.
>
> Another idea is to go to Tallinn (Estonia) which is incredible
> technologically advanced.
>
> Let me know your thoughts.
>
> Thanks!
> Juris

Sounds great to me - I've wanted to visit these regions for some time. A
few things that seem to help the selection process - do you know any
universities or facilities that would be able to provide (ideally,
sponsor) space for the event? I believe this is a large cost factor, in
addition to housing and travel. It's also possible that there might be
some funding available - iirc the German government sponsored 15k euro
for the recent meeting in Berlin - so, if there's a similar way to apply
for funding for a FOSS conference/event, it would be another plus for
the proposed locations.

p.s. another proposed location was in Athens, Greece - Panos and George
from GRNet mentioned that they could inquire for us at the local
University regarding space - it might be a good option during the colder
months of the year.

--Aaron